Once your interview is over, there’s still more work to do. Don’t just sit back and wait for a call or email. Send a thank you note within 24 hours. Doing so will give you a leg up when it comes to landing the role. Here’s why.
Why Should You Say Thank You After an Interview?
The Difference a Thank You Note Makes
First and foremost, sending a thank you note confirms your interest in the job. After an interview, not every candidate is going to want to continue through the process. So, sending a note lets the hiring manager know you still want the job.
In addition, it creates another positive touchpoint with the hiring manager. When they get a thoughtful, well-written note, it helps you stand apart from other candidates and make a good impression. If the hiring decision comes down to you and one other candidate, a great thank you note could be the decision maker.
How to Write a Thank You Note
When you’re writing a thank you note to a hiring manager, keep it short and on point. Make sure it’s timely too, sent soon after the interview. In your note:
- Thank the hiring manager for taking the time to interview you and for their consideration.
- Highlight one important point you learned about the company and why you’re excited about it.
- Call out one point about your background and the job that makes you the right fit candidate.
- Reiterate your interest in the position and that you’re eager to hear about the next steps.
- Make sure the hiring manager’s name and title are spelled correctly.
What Not to Include
Now that you know what to write about in your thank you note, there are some points to avoid. For instance, don’t go into too much detail and send a long-winded note. Likewise, avoid coming across as too demanding or writing a boilerplate note. In addition, when you’re writing your note, check to ensure there are no typos or mistakes in it. While you want to send along a note quickly, still take the time to ensure it’s error-free.
Need Help Landing the Job You Want?
OneSource Staffing Solutions is a leading employment agency dedicated to helping candidates like you find the right opportunities and achieve your career goals. If you’d like to get started, search our jobs now!